After a long time of getting too little attention from me, I decided to make a new cvechecker release. There are few changes in it, but I am planning on making a new release soon with lots of clean-ups.

What has been changed

So, what has changed? With this release (now at version 3.7) two bugs have been fixed, one having a wrong URL in the CVE download and the other about the CVE sequence numbers.

The first bug was an annoying one, which I should have fixed a long time ago. Well, it was fixed in the repository, but I didn't make a new release for it. When downloading the nvdcve-2.0-Modified.xml file, the pullcves command used the lowercase filename, which doesn't exist.

The second bug is about parsing the CVE sequence. On January 2014 the syntax changed to allow for sequence identifiers longer than 4 digits. The cvechecker tool however did a hard validation on the length of the identifier, and cut off longer fields.

That means that some CVE reports failed to parse in cvechecker, and thus cvechecker didn't "know" about these vulnerabilities. This has been fixed in this release, although I am not fully satisfied...

What still needs to be done

The codebase for cvechecker is from 2010, and is actually based on a prototype that I wrote which I decided not to rewrite into proper code. As a result, the code is not up to par.

I'm going to gradually improve and clean up the code in the next few [insert timeperiod here]. I don't know if there will be feature improvements in the next few releases (not that there aren't many feature enhancements needed) but I hope that, once the code is improved, new functionality can be added more easily.

But that's for another time. Right now, enjoy the new release.


Comments

To comment as a guest, use "Or sign up with disqus" and then select the "I'd rather post as guest" option.

comments powered by Disqus